Our department provides guidance for IT Services including submitting requests for services, privacy and security information and purchasing information.
IT Service Requests
There are three ways to contact ITS for service on your computer, to ask a question or to submit a request such as a computer move:
Telephone Contact – For Urgent Requests
- Call the IT Service Desk at 502-1919. This will get you to a service desk technician quickly. A technician can usually remote into the computer and attempt to fix the problem or can quickly dispatch a field technician.
Service Now – For Standard Requests
- You will need a My Access account to use Service Now. Follow this link to get a My Access account.
- Submit a Service Now ticket. Service Now is the new on-line ticketing system. The benefit of using this method is that you have a record of the request, which will come to you as an e-mail. Keep this e-mail for your records. Any follow up correspondence should be send using this intital e-mail.
- Documentation on the use of Service Now is available here.
E-mail contact – Also for Standard Requests
Privacy and Security
Link here to IT privacy and security information.
Additional Items to Consider for E-mail and General IT Security (bullets and links provided by department IT management):
- Please consider your audience. If in doubt, ask department IT management or administrative management about the most appropriate list to use.
- Never use a third-party, non-UCSF e-mail address for university work—EVER. Please do not ask that one be used for any reason, including international travel. The request will be denied.
- Please do not request that a third-party, non-UCSF e-mail address be added to any department list. That request will always be denied. The department cannot vouch for the security of a third-party account and does not want to assume the liability. Nor should you as an individual.
- E-mail and general IT security is every employee's responsibility. There are no exceptions.
- HIPAA compliance is everyone's responsibility. If you have a question, please refer to one of the web links below.
Use of Department Server Drives and Access to Data
- Every permanent employee is provided with access to a home or 'I' server drives, which is use for storage of protected data, such as an Outlook archive and also highly confidential documents
- Access to the 'S' or shared drive is provided as needed.
- Temporary employees are given specific access to 'S' drive folders as requested by their supervisor.
- The server drives are backed up daily.
- Desktop computer hard drives are not backed up. If you work off of your hard drive for any reason, please make sure and move your work to the server at the end of your workday. Each user is responsible for the protection of their files.
- Please consult with with the department Technology Manager about storage of especially large amounts of data on our server drives.
- All orders for computers will now be processed through BearBuy by Brian Auerbach. We are centralizing this process to better track our inventory.
- ITS/ISU will continue to provide a quote to initiate this process. Please contact Brian directly to coordinate any computer purchase.
- The exception to this policy will be purchases initiated through the Center for Reproductive Sciences. CRS lab staff will continue to work directly with ISU for computer purchases.
- Judy Louie of our Finance team will continue to manage all purchases for phones and tablets (e.g., iPads).